November 13, 2014

My thoughts on Meghan Trainor 's All About that Bass

Hello beauties,

      Today I am doing a different type of post. I  have been seeing a lot of reviews and opinons via Facebook,  instagram and YouTube regard a little tune called All About That Bass by Meghan Trainor. There have been a lot of mixed feeling about it, some people state that it is a song that shames skinny people and some people say yes! This...is ma jam! So, I thought I would share my thoughts.

        As a plus size woman, I know what it's like to be shamed. People are a judgement in this world. Coming from a family where all the girls are on the thinner side, definitely know what it feel like to feel like a black sheep. Also, coming from a European background where if you are thin, your obviously starving yourself and if you are chubby, there a foreign whispers and bloated body gestures. All through elementary school people made fun of me, and I wasn't even that chubby as a child. I was a bit chunkier than average but not fat or obese by any means. So needless to say, I know what it feels like to be fat shamed.
       But what do I think about this tune? Well, the bottom line here is, I love it. I think that it sends a good message for anyone who isn't viewed as ideal. As far as the skinny shaming goes,  I think it is a sick double standard. How many times over the years have people made cruel distinctions about over weight people. Even look at the fashion world, even size 10's are scrutinized! In order to be a plus size model in the high fashion industry, you can't be over a size 16. It's pretty sad really. But in a world where skinny, slim, fit people are glorified, there needs to be a shimmer of hope for those who are not. Woman need to realize that hating who you are isn't going to change the fact that  it is what it is right now. Even if you are planning on losing weight, why not love yourself all the way down rather than wait till your thin to appreciate your body. It's all about loving the skin your in. I have overcome my insecurites over time but there are people who are still battling themselves. Let those have there shining glory. They deserve it just as much as everyone else!

Until next time...

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment